Don José Cabaleiro do Lago founded the original wineries in Chipiona as an offshoot from the Cabaleiro family’s oak wood business, back in Galicia.
1870. FIRST EXPORTS TO THE UK.
In 1870 the family business changed its name to Antonio Caballero & Nephews. Exports to America and the UK began under that name.
It was back in those days when the old family vines: “El Benito” and “Las Cruces”, where regrouped over 260 acres of the best land in the area.
1924. FIRST EXPORTS TO SOUTH AMERICA.
Merchant service from Chipiona to Buenos Aires was inaugurated, and 3.300 crates of Caballero brandy first boarded the Infanta Isabel vessel.
1932. RELOCATION TO EL PUERTO DE SANTA MARÍA.
On this year, the relocation of the main house to El Puerto de Santa María was complete.
The José de la Cuesta Bodegas, founded in 1894, were acquired as was the John Williams Burdon brand, founded in 1821. This was the beginning of a wide expansion period that was to be interrupted in 1936, due to the Spanish Civil War.
1944. LUIS CABALLERO S.A. IS ESTABLISHED.
The Luis Caballero S.A. corporate group is established under Don Luis Caballero Noguera’s presidency, to reinforce the group’s activity on an international scale. The company became the leading exporter from El Puerto de Santa María onto the UK.
1961. NEW HEADQUARTERS: SAN MARCOS CASTLE.
On this year, the San Marcos Castle became the company’s emblem, its silhouette now incorporated to the brand’s wine labels.
From then on, Luis Caballero set out to care for and honor the building, which was declared Site of Cultural Interest, opening it up to conferences, symposiums, concerts, exhibitions and other quality events.
1970. DEVELOPMENT AND EXPANSION.
Luis Caballero S.A. started to define its commercial strategy based on the creation of value through product positioning. This resulted in a strong increase in wine and spirits sales, especially of Ponche Caballero, its most unique product, which became the leading brand in Spain and one of the best selling liquors in Europe.
1990. LUSTAU INCORPORATION.
Luis Caballero incorporated Bodegas Lustau in 1990, the only winery developing wines in all three cities within the Sherry Triangle. This agreement constituted a substantial financial backing which made the development and expansion of Bodegas Lustau possible.
Over the following years, the company grew its still wine portfolio, incorporating, in 1991, Bodegas Marqués de Irún; specialized in the elaboration of Ribera and Rueda wine. In 1996, it was Destilería Cazalla S.A., a company located in Cazalla de la Sierra, dedicated to the elaboration of anise spirits and Miura cherry liquor. In 1997, construction of the Viña Herminia Winery began in La Rioja, celebrating 50 years of company history.
NEW CENTURY, NEW CHALLENGES.
2003 saw the incorporation of Europvin, S.A., a high-end wine distributor based in Bordeaux, active in 20 markets including the US, Japan, UK, Australia and Singapore.
In 2008 Luis Caballero acquired Golden State Wine, a California wine distributor, asserting the company’s pledge to invest in value brands on an international level as well.
That same year the purchase of four of the most emblematic brands off Domecq was confirmed: Fino La Ina, Río Viejo, Viña 25 and Botaina.
In 2010, Luis Caballero incorporated three gins of renowned prestige: Greenall’s, Bloom and Berkeley Square. This agreement with G&J Distillers allowed the company’s entry to the Premium Gin Market, so in vogue today.
Ron Contrabando was introduced in 2012; an authentic dark rum from the Dominican Republic, characteristic and emblematical, full of history and tradition.
In 2013, with the help of Quintessential Brands, the company launched OPIHR, the world’s only really Spiced Gin. This way, Caballero gave the finishing touch to the widest gin portfolio in the market.
In 2014, Luis Caballero and Oliver & Oliver signed an agreement to distribute Puntacana Club, their most emblematic rum, exclusively, in Spain.